Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Every Now & Zen


I’ve been reading a book on “Everyday Zen” casually for the last few weeks, and although I don’t necessarily aspire to become a full fledged Buddhist beyotch, I am finding some of the ideas in it very logical.
The problem is applying them to everyday life in the urban jungle.

Ideally, you are advised to sit in “sesshin” for at least 15 minutes a day in complete silence and focus on nothing.
Which sounds easy enough, but apparently takes years to master.

I believe it, because I’ve tried it twice in the past week, and have yet to break the 1:23 minute mark.

It’s very interesting actually - you get a good idea of how your emotions, fears, anxieties, and selfishness affect your thinking. Which in turn become your actions and face in the world without you really noticing it.

At first, you notice how your legs feel in the sitting position, the grumbling of your tummy, the beating of your heart, etc.
Which is exactly what you are supposed to be thinking about and noticing and feeling.

But then, the chatter starts.

What’s on the to do list, who pissed you off at work, the anxiety over Christmas lists and activities, the bills, your weight, hair color. Have you been getting enough excercise?
Did you check the mail? Did you send the mail?
The thought of your favorite dessert enters your mind. Your mouth starts watering, and then you start talking yourself out of having it because it won’t help your weight concerns in the least. But you can bet it'd be good...mmmmm.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

All of this seems to occur about 50-60 seconds into the zazen practice of sitting and just being.
And that’s where the lesson and answers to your life apparently are.

I’m not convinced, but am definitely interested in learning more about the philosophy.
I know it won't be an easy feat, because I am a typical type A personality, and must have everything in order and under control all the time. That requires a lot of thinking and internal chatter!
I'm thinking maybe it's time to loosen up and relax a bit though - enjoy the moment instead of contemplateing the next million moments ahead of me and how I have to have an action plan for all of them.

Like I said, I don’t plan on becoming a monk and moving to Tibet or anything, but I would like to find a way to have a bit more inner peace in the midst of this crazy busy reality we are all a part of.
This zen philosophy basically implies finding a way to disconnect in order to reconnect.
Makes sense to me...

I think it’s probably pretty good for your overall health and sense of well being.


3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home