Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Blech

Ugh.

I have had a nasty bout of stomach flu since last Friday…I just want it to go away now.

I’ve recently been made the department lead on a huge new Venezuelan EOR project, and yesterday the project team from the tropics arrived in Calgary. I obviously couldn’t miss the project kick-off, so I had to stick it out the best I could for the very looong day.

Thank eff for Advil and Kaeopectate is all I gotta say.

After 9 hours of meetings, it was off to the Petroleum Club for cocktails and dinner.
Several glasses of white wine later (my glass mysteriously kept getting topped up), I forgot about the flu, and ended up having a great evening. The food was great (their Crème Brule is orgasmic), the people from Venezuela were very nice (also holy knowledgeable & organized…oy), and the hob knobbing with the top dogs of the company I work for was actually kind of fun. Except of course for the bosses’ wife - she kept dragging me out for cigs, and it was minus 40 degrees outside last night. Fucking frigid.

Anyways, before I know it, it’s like 9:30 - and I’ve been at “work” for like 14 hours already. I decided to go home, but good luck getting a cab in this weather. I bundled up as well as possible and embarked on a very quick walk home - I tell ya, even with long john’s, a sweater, a scarf, ear muffs, and insulated gloves, I FROZE. Seriously. I couldn’t feel my head face or legs by the time I got home, which was only about 15 minutes away.

This weather is nothing short of inhumane.

I know I shouldn’t complain - everyone is freezing their arses off this week in Alberta. I feel especially bad for the Venezuelans that are here for meetings all week - they are experiencing a 70 degree temperature difference from Caracas!
Sucks.

Then of course there are the homeless people. I can’t even imagine what they must be experiencing out there. The city opened an emergency shelter at the Stampede Grounds this weekend to help those that couldn’t get into the other shelters.
Despite the effort (which was too late IMO), a homeless person did die on the streets from the elements this past Saturday night. That is sicker than anything I can even think of, and I don’t want to get started on this topic again.
There’s no need for it in this or any other city in the country period. Shelter is a basic human RIGHT.

Anyways…here I am at work today, nursing a wine hangover, operating on very little sleep, and still fighting this blasted stomach flu (I’m sure the drinks last night didn’t help). GAH.
I just wanna go hoooooooooome and get in bed for the day! I am sick and tired - literally.

There. That’s better.
There’s my whoa-is-me post of the year.

Stay WARM everyone!

2 Comments:

  • I am in Dallas right now and its like 15 degrees here hahaaaaa.
    But I need a nap as well. I also want wine and creme brulee.

    Dude Maia is funny!!!
    Get better Mizz! I wanna call you and hear all about your party.

    Viva long Johns!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Holy camoly! The Pete Club is awesome!! The Lobster Bisque is so devine. I am tired of the cold, really it has to go. I hope you get better soon!

    By Blogger Jeff Skybar, at 6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home