Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Posting Time

I haven’t had much to write about recently, so haven’t bothered.
Just been busy with work as usual.

I was really looking forward to building a Habitat for Humanity home here in Calgary this past Friday, but despite good intentions, too many volunteers showed up and there was not enough work to keep all of us occupied for the duration of the day.
So myself and a friend from work decided to take the day off and go shopping - which was fun. She has two young kids, so I was able to tag along on with her to the toy stores to help her get a start on her Christmas shopping.
Now THAT was fun.
The toys they have out for kids nowadays are effen awesome! I could not believe the technology put into the dolls, stuffed animals, and video games for sale. Even the Lego sets were sweet…Star Wars themes, dinosaurs, ones that light up…oy. I wish I was a kid again in this day and age for the toy selection alone.

The weekend was pretty chill. Window shopped and brunched in Kensington, looked for Christmas decorations, etc.

That’s about it really.

Sandy’s been on the road for the better part of two weeks, so I’m kinda grouchy about that - although I really shouldn’t be considering what’s been going on in the lives of some friends of mine (hugs to all you guys).

There has been some media attention brought to the blogs of some of them due to the disappearance/possible homicide of one of their friends, which is completely classless and ignorant on the media’s part.
Apparently, some of the information and images used in the news broadcasts have been freely taken by the media without permission, and of course, in search of information on the case, ppl have been seeking out and reading the blogs.
This has resulted in some unwanted attention and spotlight on the private lives of these people.
That in itself is bad enough.
But the other thing that comes to mind about airing pictures/blog addys/names of the people who knew the missing person is the unknown circumstances surrounding the crime. If, gawd forbid, it ends up being a homicide, than there could well be a killer out there somewhere. Watching the news, reading the blogs being referenced on TV, gathering personal information.
That is scary to even think about, but it should be considered.
Also - if this is being investigated as a crime, why is the privacy of those who knew the man not a concern by police if the investigation is still open?
Makes no sense...

First off, I understand that unless material is copyright protected, it is generally accepted as free for the taking - especially on the www.
I think, however, that there should be an exercise in compassion under circumstances such as these. It is hard enough to be concerned about the loss of a friend or family member without having people take advantage for their own benefit (clips for the news).
Privacy and respect should be of utmost importance in a situation like this, and I find it disgusting that the info taken from the blogs of the missing man’s friends is being plastered all over the news without so much as a “please may we”.
I suppose that’s the nature of the beast though. Sad to see…

To those involved - my thoughts are with all of you, and I sincerely hope the details of the case are brought to light sooner rather than later. I can’t even imagine the turmoil you must be experiencing with the unknown.

Take care guys. Be well.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks CC. Yes I agree even though the internet is free and anybody can have those pictures, the media boasts about being a profession and in my opinion a profession would, out of courtesy and respect and to uphold that professional air, ask if they can use our blogs and pictures. This has just created a bunch of mess. We have had to take out links off and as you know I deleted mine. but then again perhaps this is a blessing and I will be able to drop some unfavorables from my last on-line diary.

    Jeff Skybar

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 AM  

  • after our conversation on the phone last night im still in utter shock of how the media has taken advantage of the privacy of all involved. My condolence to the friends and family of the victim, I hope the killer or killers are brought to justice as quickly as possible, Please take care to you all

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home