Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Definition of Disgruntled

Kay, so I know I haven’t posted in a long time, and I was hoping to come back with a brilliant and glorious tale to change the way the human mind thinks, thus making me revered and celebrated the whole world over, thus making me rich both in personal satisfaction and monetary wealth.

BUT. That didn’t happen.

So, I will rant instead.

So at work, we’ve been told that we were going to move offices every week for the last 2 months. Every week we were told, and every week it was delayed. So I suppose I stopped paying attention after a while.
Anyways, last Friday at like 10:30am, me and my project team get an email from our oh so competent (as IF) office administrator, telling us to pack up cuz our crap was being moved on Saturday. Gee, thx for the notice.
So we all end up staying late Friday afternoon getting our offices packed up and our computer equipment ready to go. We’re told to go to the new building Monday morning and everything would be set up and ready to go.
Sounds easy enough.

Well, it didn’t turn out that way in the least.

I was the first one in yesterday morning, and because our card keys weren't programmed to let us in yet, I was locked out for almost 45 minutes. I had to call the office admin. to walk all the way over here (20 minutes from our old office) and let me in.
So I get in, and there’s literally garbage, construction scraps, and dust everywhere. I go to my new “office”, and first find that it’s an effen cubicle (dear gawd not again), RIGHT beside the reception area (holy LOUD, many distractions), our computers were plopped down hastily on top of our desks. Not plugged in, no network cables, no power bars, NA-DA.
Sweet. Keep it coming.

So after spending a couple hours setting up and unpacking, it becomes evident that no office supplies are here or coming in the near future.
So of course they ask me and the only other girl on the team to head back to the old office and pick up a basic set of supplies to hold everyone over. 20 minutes there, 20 minutes back, arms fully loaded.

Get back to the new office, and am thirsty as eff. Go to the kitchen, no cups. No matter, cuz there’s no water cooler either. Yes!

I figure I should take a pee break. I go to the women’s washroom, and find it’s locked. Rawk on.
I call the office admin and ask her to find out wtf about the bathroom, and she never returns my call. I go down to security myself, and tell them we need keys for the women’s facilities here, and dude gives me two.
Anyways, at least we can pee now.
Try out the new keys to get in, and yep they work, but holy effen GROSS in there. Christ almighty I’m ready to blow my lid soon!
Go down to the store on the corner and pick up Lysol scrubbing wipes. Come back and start scrubbing that biatch so it’s somewhat user friendly.

Finally get back to my desk, and there’s literally a line up of guys asking me where’s this, what’s that, I need this, we need that.
Kay, last time I checked, my job description did not outline office bitch duties of any kind.
This is getting ridiculous.
I’ve got emails coming out my ass, my phone message light is blinking up a storm, which doesn’t matter cuz I can’t retrieve them yet anyways, and I’ve got people grumbling at ME about the whole sitch.
Hey man, last time I checked, it sucked for me in here too. Don’t preach to the preacher.

Things sorta settle down, the phones get fixed, the computers are up and running.
We don’t have a printer or a photocopier though. That’s coming “sometime”. Excellent.
For now, we can use the one on the floor above us, which has been idling an error message since yesterday at 9:44 am.
Effen rights.

We don’t have a secretary in the works, cuz the one they had in mind was pissed that she wasn’t invited to the kick-off meetings so said eff you to the PM. I am the closest to the reception area. In a 6 by 6 cube no less.
See where this is going?
Every 5-6 minutes I am interrupted with questions, complaints, orders, people at the door.

First thing this morning for instance, first one in again, and I hear a "HAAA-ROOOW, HAA-ROOW!" coming from the front door. It's the corporate express guy with 61 effen boxes of supplies for the initial office setup.
Well no one else is here, so I have to sign for all this crap, whether it was all of what was ordered or not. Then, I have to unpack the shit and put it all away. Awesome.

Then the Venezuelans arrive to take residence in their offices, and there's no computers ready for them, no phones, nothing. So I am standing there like a fool all "uuuhhhh, we just moved in, so...". Kick ass.

The rest of today has been in update meetings, where I've had nothing to update cuz I've been busy with all this other crap. And the PM is like "don't let them on to the fact that we're underprepared, we'll get it sorted out."
Whatever you say boss. Makes it a bit difficult to answer the questions they direct at me in the meetings though. I'm perfecting the art of talking out of my ass for crying in the sink.

This is effen BS. It’s only Tuesday and I am totally ready to call it a week.

And there. THAT’S MY UPDATE.

6 Comments:

  • Well that just SUCKS!! Some day CC when we are running highly effective and efficient companies, we will look back on all the chaos that we have endured and smile. I elieve that.

    By Blogger Jeff Skybar, at 6:27 AM  

  • I believe it too J...somedays, it's those thoughts that get me through, I swear.

    I think it's about time to turn down the suck and turn up the rawk.

    By Blogger Comfortable Chaos, at 10:23 AM  

  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you work for a project management company? I'm just asking.

    By Blogger Matty, at 6:20 PM  

  • Yes, PM companies are the worst kind for organization -- except for railways. CC's more Engineering PM, correct?

    By Blogger MB, at 1:00 PM  

  • If you ever want to do one-ups on who works for the most disorganized company, we should have a competition sometime.

    By Blogger MB, at 1:01 PM  

  • lol - good idea Reid.

    Yes, I work for a PM company, we handle all aspects of EPCM.
    Some better than others...

    By Blogger Comfortable Chaos, at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home