Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Friday, October 27, 2006

Time, Time, Time - See What's Become Of Me



Well I suppose an update is due by now…

This week has been so ridiculously busy that I haven’t had time to do much of anything I had planned. I don’t know why, but it seems as time is passing, life is getting busier and busier.

I am usually a very organized person with the memory capacity of an elephant - I can remember anything for myself or anyone else, no matter how big or small. Lately though, I feel like the filing cabinets in my head have tipped over and spilled their contents all over the floor.
I can’t remember an effen thing these days! I rarely feel prepared for my daily schedule or social plans. I have post it notes all over my desk and on my fridge at home. My email calendar reminder buddy thingy is working overtime. My cell phone reminder function had been ringing off the hook - its nuts.
So my question is this- has life actually gotten busier, or is my memory going with age?? I hope it isn’t the latter cuz I’m not even 30 yet! Cripes.

And in other news…

I went on a tour of CUPS on Tuesday, which was a really great experience. CUPS (Calgary Urban Project Society) is an agency downtown that helps to support the medical, physical, and emotional needs of our growing homeless population in Calgary.
I was kind of expecting a dingy, run down, dirty kind of environment in there (not sure why?), but was pleased to see how well maintained their facilities actually are. It’s a 3 story building with a state of the art medical clinic and lab in the basement, common rooms, beds, kitchens, computers, and counselors on the second floor, and a women’s health facility on the top floor.

It was really quite impressive.

I was quite taken with this agency as I learned more about what they do to help those in need in the community.
The main thing I was impressed by was their “under any circumstance” policy for the people that come in. They do not judge anyone or care what they are on at the time they come in - they treat all ppl with respect and open arms. Mainly because they feel that these same people will come to them for help with changing their lives when they are ready if they feel that they are not being judged. That makes sense.

I was also glad to hear that each person that comes in seeking medical attention spends no less than one hour with the doctors on site as policy.
Even if they just need a band-aid.
The doctors will spend the rest of the hour talking with the patient, about how life is really going for them, if they need help to get off the streets, and basically treating them like regular human beings - which I’m sure they don’t get much of otherwise. This process can also help refer the homeless to intake workers for low income housing assistance (CUPS will pay security deposits and help search for rentals in many cases), child care assistance, psychiatric help, etc.
It’s just a really great organization because they deal DIRECTLY with the people that require help. They also have an outreach street team that delivers food, blankets, and checks on the welfare of the thousands of people unable to get into shelters every night.

Overhead is minimal (10%), and the doctors and volunteers donate their time every week to help out. I’ll get behind something like that any day.
As a matter of fact, after discussing my desire to support this organization with Sandy, she decided she would like to help as well. So we have decided to take a hamper of clothing, baby supplies, hygiene products, socks, underwear, etc. directly to them every Friday afternoon.
Starting today.
We are going to do a case of formula, diapers, infant outfits, and perhaps blankets for the smallest victims today. Next time probably mens/womens hygiene supplies, after that, maybe winter clothing, etc.

The opportunity to donate my time to low income housing development also came up this week, and I have signed on to build a Habitat for Humanity house on November 10th. I am excited about it, and I think that even though it will be a long, hard day, it will also be lots of fun.
Let’s just hope I don’t shoot myself with a nail gun or saw my hand off. Gawd knows I’m not that mechanically inclined.
I am hoping I get hammer and nail duty for the most part, but I’ll help out wherever they want to place me.
Should be a good experience.

Lastly, tomorrow there is a Halloween party being held, and with the pace of these last couple of weeks, I have not had time to get a costume together. So my panic button is on high now - I am worried we won’t find anything in time.
My own fault really, but crap, time is flying faster than I can handle lately, and things get put on the back burner. And I don't like it!

Depending on how our shopping trip and delivery of goods for the homeless goes this afternoon, I am hoping there will be enough time to go shopping for a costume tonight. But then again, we’ve already committed to a pumpkin carving.

See?
I tells ya - it’s gettin, it’s gettin, it’s gettin kinda hectic (I’ve got the Pow-AH!)

1 Comments:

  • LMAOOOO @ als pals! That's effen awesome...never heard that one before.
    I dunno J - I think the pace is getting much more amped these days. I can't remember ever having so many obligations/responsibilities until know. But then again, if it is early onset of als, I wouldn't remember, now would I? ;)

    Yessur - we'll be at the same party tomorrow night. Love the idea of the photographer! That's brilliant! All I need is a newsie hat and color me a paparazzi! Cuz you just know I'll be taken tons of pics anyways.

    We should really do a mock fashion shoot for you. All we need is a case of red bull, some blow, some bumpin techno tunes (or Gowan), and me screaming "WOOOOORK IT!" at you from behing the lens.
    Will be good times...

    By Blogger Comfortable Chaos, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home