Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Monday, August 13, 2007

ZIP IT


Doesn’t it seem weird that people, complete strangers even, feel the need to fill silences with meaningless chit chat?
Drives me nuts.

I don’t really see the need to talk to people that I don’t know about the weather or the stock market or the state of politics in the western hemisphere just because we are sharing an elevator.

I DON’T KNOW YOU, YES THE WEATHER IS NICE, YES, UNSEASONABLY WARM, YES I HEARD IT MIGHT RAIN, YES I HEARD THE TSX WAS DOWN YESTERDAY, NOW PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE AND SHUT YER YAPPER.

Seriously.

Not trying to be rude, but I just don’t see the point of yapping uncontrollably to a stranger or co-worker about things that don’t mean eff all.
Even the obligatory “how was your weekend” question by the water cooler on Monday mornings makes me cringe. Because more often than not, the person asking doesn’t care in the least. And quite frankly, I don’t care how your weekend was either Mr….? what’s your name again anyways?
Hence the reason you’ll never hear me ask you that question, unless we have an established relationship of some kind.

This probably sounds neurotic - which it may very well be, but it is sincerely one of my biggest pet peeves.
What’s so wrong with silence and/or minding ones own business?
Will the apocolypse be upon us if we don't fill every quiet moment around other people with asinine yammering?

If you have something interesting or meaningful to say, give er.
I’ll chat up a storm with you any day of the week.

But please don’t try and engage me in gratuitous chatter about how nice a day it is when all I am trying to do is get from A to B on the elevator.
If you’re doing it to ease some sort of perceived tension or awkwardness, news flash - yakking nervously about gawd knows what only makes that worse.

This has been a public service announcement proudly brought to you by CC.

4 Comments:

  • must br genetic, as im not a chit chatter with people i dont knoe neither, actually, I try and avoid eye contact in elevators, buses etc, as im not into a chat!! lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:41 PM  

  • How was your weekend?

    By Blogger Jeff Skybar, at 10:56 AM  

  • I don't get the need to fill silence with shit either. Like why do they have to play 10-second clips of songs during pauses during a hockey game? It's freaking stupid!

    By Blogger MB, at 3:58 PM  

  • I think people are so insecure and afraid of being alone that they have a compulsion to do this. We're a freaking bizarre species, that's for sure.

    By Blogger MB, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home