Seasoning Salt

Ooooh...Spicaaay!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall

It has recently been brought to my attention, albeit from a questionable source, that I suffer from 3 specific conditions:

1. I need to be right about everything.
Now, I am all about looking at other people’s perspectives on this one. Be brutally honest with me why doncha.
If you know me in any personal capacity, I would appreciate feedback on this because if it is in fact a trait I possess, I would like to fix it on the ASAP.
Cuz there’s nothing more irritating than a know it all.

My view: I do not consciously put much effort into ramming my points down people’s throats. In fact I feel that I am rather cautious about discussing my personal opinions with other people, unless I feel that they are open to hearing my views or out right ask for my advice.
I am very much a thinker, and can often be found pondering all aspects of a situation instead of just my own so I can see all angles and come to a logical conclusion.
I do not think there is a finite right or wrong in most things in life…therefore I was kind of stunned to hear that I come across as one of “those people” that always has to be right, no matter what the cost.

But I could be wrong…gawd knows it’s happened before. I am open to anyone’s interpretation.

2. I am driven by my ego. (Latin derivative meaning “I”)
Wow.
Still shell shocked by this one.
Once again, I am all about looking at other people’s opinions on the matter.
I have never heard this term used in describing any of my character traits, but that’s not to say it hasn’t been discussed without my knowledge. Sometimes we really are the last to know things about ourselves.
I am willing to hear the straight goods on this one – I’ll admit it would be disheartening to hear/read. Because I have always believed people are people…no greater no less.
But if I am an egoist, I would like some hard truth from the outside world on this one, because quite frankly, I wouldn’t like myself very much if it turned out that I really was all about me.
I’d get to work on fixing it immediately.

My View: I cannot remember a time in my life when I felt better than anyone else.
I cannot remember a time when I condoned that behavior in other people either.
I have a deep rooted belief that we are all the same creature…material, wealth, power, IQ…is all external. None of it matters much in the end in my opinion – mind you none of it really matters in the present if you look at the big picture, but that’s just my view.
I try my best not to judge others too harshly for their life circumstances, because I have not walked a mile in their shoes, and therefore am no authority on the matters that I have never experienced myself.
Well these are MY thoughts…again; I could be way off base.

3. I am unrealistic.
Now this one in particular made me do a double take. Reason being, I have often been called too realistic for my own good.
Indeed, sometimes that has taken the wind out of some people’s sails throughout my life. Especially when they are excited about a plan that they have pinned their hopes on, but have not actually sat down to figure out the logistics of it.
I have usually been that person…the list maker, the pros and cons chart developer, the estimated time per task figure-outer, the financial planner, etc.
Yeah…that person.
I’m sure I have annoyed more than my fair share of people with this approach, I can admit that.

My View: I think I am very realistic.
Sometimes too much so for my own good.
Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am notorious for being unable to act spontaneously. I have a terrible habit of considering any plan/decision to the very last detail in order to decide if it is a wise choice.
I need to plan ahead to make sure the end result is worth it. I need to consider every avenue.
Is that the definition of realistic? Unrealistic? I am not sure.

I know it shouldn’t matter what other people think of me, and for the most part it generally doesn’t. I try to live the best way I know how in order to sustain happiness and peace.

I guess I am just concerned that I may be putting out these vibes without realizing it. And if so, I would like to correct it.
Because there’s nothing worse than striving to live your life by a certain set of values, and then being told you are having the opposite effect on others and the world in general.

Thanks for listening.

4 Comments:

  • Well CC. I have known you for quite afew years. ALthough we do not converse on a regular basis, we do have really good times when we are together. I distinctly remember a BBQ at your palce and we (there were two others there if you recall) sat under the lighted umbrella and talked about life, the universe, evolution, aliens, telepathy, out of body experiences and all those neat and rarely discusses topics. Everyone had a different perspective, and we all listened and took what each other had to say. I grew from that experince, and everytime I set my sights on issues, you have always given me your view. Together we have analyzed them and been able to see each others points. What we always have realized is that everything is a big phucking circle man. Everything is connected no matter how small, there are no wrong or rights, but just best guesstimates based on the facts that you have before you. Some people hold different facts then you, but you have the ability to listen and SEE those other peoples facts, so your guesstimates are more precise then others. Does this make any sense? What I'm saying is you have never forced your belief, opinions or values onto anybody,.but simply put them out there to give others a different perspective. If they choose to listen or see from your way and evaluate with their own thoughts and perhaps the thoughts of others, then they are great minds, if they do not then they are simply looking for a black or white answer in a completely grey reality. You already realize this existence is grey, such as myself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 AM  

  • good points J.

    I suppose as long as we feel that our actions and treatment of others is fair and reflective of our internal values, we can rest easy.
    I guess it will never fully mesh with other people's values.

    But as long as we try to be open and objective to all views, not just our own, then I guess that's the best we can do.

    No one is perfect, and no one is superior or inferior to anyone else.
    We have to respect eachother and our differences if we wish to have fufilling relationships in life.

    By Blogger Comfortable Chaos, at 11:27 AM  

  • hi Deb, left a reply on here before, didnt show up so I thought I might try again.1 In regards to you needing to be right about everything,ya right.. We are both related to someone who posses that unappealing quality, we know who that person is right??2 Driven by ego, thats another one that really blows me out of the water, Ive always looked forward to hearing your opinions and views and discussing them with you, I do value your feedback greatly, not just as my sis, as a different look on an issue, not once have I heard the "hollier than though" tone in your voice.Also, I really dont believe that you or I posses that egotitical gene, we are more "people pleasers" 3 If you werent realistic in your life, goals want and needs, you would still be in the same bad relationships you were in before, and you wouldnt have come forward about your true needs and desires in your relationships, ie being a lesbian. Anyways since ive known you the longest, (that sister thang!) I have pretty good insight!! SO THERE YA GO!! DESBIE!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

  • Thanks for your thoughts wendy...I appreciate your honesty.

    By Blogger Comfortable Chaos, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home